Skip to main content

Featured

The Moral Argument for God’s Existence.

  An atheist might say you can be good without believing in God. However the question isn’t can you be good without believing in God but can you be good without God? Here’s the problem if there’s no God. What basis remains for objective good or bad, right or wrong? If God does not exist objective moral values do not exist. Here’s why. Without some objective reference point we    really have no way of saying something is up or down. Gods nature however provides an objective reference point for moral values. It’s the standard which all action and thoughts are measured. However, if there is no God then there is no objective reference point. All we are left with is one persons view point as opposed to some other persons view point. This makes morality subjective not objective.  It’s like a preference for vanilla ice cream. The preference is in the subject not the object. Therefore it doesn’t apply to other people. In the same way subjective morality applies only to the subject. It’s not va

Christian in Name Only?

[41] Peter asked, “Lord, are you telling this parable to us, or to everyone?”
[42] The Lord answered, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time? [43] It will be good for that servant whom the master finds doing so when he returns. [44] I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. [45] But suppose the servant says to himself, ‘My master is taking a long time in coming,' and he then begins to beat the menservants and maidservants and to eat and drink and get drunk. [46] The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers. - Luke 12:41-46 (NIV)

When I read this passage I ask myself, “Who is Jesus speaking about?” and “Is this a parable meant to illustrate a future event or a present reality?”

The context would suggest that it’s a future event. (v.40) Since it’s a future event it must be dealing with Christianity and not Judaism. Since the question came from Peter it appears that Jesus is telling this parable to His disciples. There is one thing I strive to do and that is to not filter a passage through a particular person’s systematic theology. I want to let the passage speak for itself as much as possible. For example I don’t want to interpret a passage through the theological filter of Calvinism or Arminianism or any other person-ism. They are people just like any other. We all have the same ability to understand the scripture, with the aid of the Holy Spirit, as other people. I don’t believe someone has some kind of secret knowledge when it comes to understanding God’s word.

Some people suggest that Jesus is speaking about the religious authorities of the day in the nation of Israel. I don’t see this at all is this passage. Because the religious leaders of the day did not accept Jesus as there master. Jesus wouldn't have put them in charge of the Gospel message and the citizens that belong to His Kingdom. This assignment would be given to His followers.

Even though Jesus doesn't directly answer Peter’s question of who in regard to the 12 disciple or everyone, which calls themselves a follower of Jesus Christ, this parable does suggest it’s directed to the 12. If then it is directed to the 12 what do we see? We see a warning. If you plan of taking up my cause then you better understand what you will be getting into. This endeavor is not to be trifled with. If you decide to be my servants-managers and fail at your task then the same fate awaits you as that of an unbeliever.

It looks like Jesus is telling Peter that if you don’t persevere you can lose your citizenship in His kingdom. Then I ask myself if this can happen to the 12 then can it happen to me? I’m a person with the same broken human nature as them. As a follower of Jesus Christ I also possess the same gift of eternal life, as them. This makes me a believer. This gift I received by grace through faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ. However, if I live a life that does not reflect this gift while at the same time possessing the gift and Jesus returns, it looks like that what I have can be taken away from me and I will receive the punishment of the unbeliever which is a place in hell. 

This is what this passage looks like to me. 

Comments

Popular Posts